March Is Brain Injury Awareness Month In Tampa Bay
The Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA) leads the nation in observing Brain Injury Awareness Month by conducting an awareness campaign in March each year. The theme for the 2015 to 2017 campaign is: Not Alone.
The Not Alone campaign provides a platform for educating the general public about the incidence of brain injury and the needs of people with brain injuries and their families. The campaign also lends itself to outreach within the brain injury community to de-stigmatize the injury, empower those who have survived, and promote the many types of support that are available.
Tampa Bay Brain Injury Facts
In support of Brain Injury Awareness Month, the Association provides the following facts:
- More than 3.5 million children and adults sustain an acquired brain injury (ABI) each year, but the total incidence is unknown.
- An ABI is any injury to the brain that is not hereditary, congenital, degenerative, or induced by birth
- Every day, 137 people in the U.S. die because of a TBI- related injury. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is the leading cause of death and disability in children and adults from ages 1 to 44.
- There are many causes of TBI: • Falls – 40.5% • Struck by/against – 15.5% • Motor vehicle – 14.3% Assaults – 10.7% • Unknown – 19%
- At least 5.3 million Americans live with TBI-related disabilities.
- At least 2.5 million children and adults sustain TBIs in the U.S. each year; 2 million are treated in emergency departments for TBI each year. 280,000 are hospitalized for TBI each year. 50,000 die because of TBI each year.
- Every 13 seconds, someone in the U.S. sustains a TBI.
- One of every 60 people in the U.S. lives with a TBI- related disability.
- Moderate & severe head injury (respectively) is associated with a 2.3 and 5 times increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Prevention of Florida TBI
Because Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) cannot be cured, steps must be taken to prevent an injury from occurring including:
TBI Prevention Methods Include:
- Always wear a seat belt in a motor vehicle
- Use an appropriate child safety seat or a booster
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Always wear a helmet when on a bicycle, motorcycle, scooter, snowmobile and other open unrestrained vehicles
- Wear a helmet when participating in contact sports
- Wear a helmet when horseback riding
- Wear a helmet while skiing, snowboarding, skating and skateboarding
- Use the rails on stairways
- Keep firearms unloaded in a locked cabinet or safe, and store ammunition in a separate, secure locatio
Brain Injury Lawsuits in Tampa Bay
Unfortunately, damage to the brain can be severely debilitating, and are one of the most serious injuries that can occur during an accident. Long-term physical and mental disabilities or changes are not uncommon, and a victim’s quality of life can be profoundly affected to the point they are unable to live, function or work normally. After a traumatic brain injury, pursuing damages through a lawsuit is the best way to ensure you receive the best medical attention and avoid completely draining your financial resources to pay for it. An experienced traumatic brain injury attorney will help you secure the compensation you deserve for current, and future, expenses including:
- All medical costs (ambulance, surgical, hospital bills, etc.)
- Property damage
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
Contact a Tampa Bay Brain Injury Attorney
Symptoms of brain injury can take a while to appear, but seeking medical attention is important even in the absence of symptoms if someone has been hit on the head or otherwise suffered a trauma to the head. The effects of a brain injury can be dramatic and life-long causing temporary or even permanent injuries. If you have suffered a brain injury, it is important to speak to an experienced Tampa Bay brain injury attorney. At the Dolman Law Group in Clearwater, Florida, our team of highly skilled brain injury lawyers have helped many victims obtain the recovery they deserve for their injuries. Please call our office at 727-451-6900 today.
Dolman Law Group
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 3375